mike ecker

Have you ever wondered what certain parts of the letter are called? Before you start learning letterforms, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with some key terms of typography. Mike created this image as a way to introduce people to the wonderful world of type!

Arm: A horizontal or slanted stroke that does not connect to a stroke or stem on one or both ends.

Ascender: An upward vertical stroke found on the part of lowercase letters that extends above the typeface’s x-height.

Aperture: The partially enclosed, somewhat rounded negative space in some characters. Most commonly. found in the lowercase “a”.

Baseline: An invisible line where all letters rest upon.

Beak: A sharp spur, found at the top of letters.

Bowl: The fully closed, rounded part of a letter.

Bracket: A curved or wedge-like connection between the stem and serif of some letters.

Cap Height: A line marking the height of the uppercase letters.

Counter: The open space in a fully closed area.

Crotch: An acute, inside angle where two strokes meet.

Descender: The part of the letter that extends below the baseline.

Ear: A small stroke extending from the upper-right side of the bowl.

Serif: A marking added as a stop to the beginning and end of the main strokes of a character.

Shoulder: The curved stroke aiming downward from a stem.

Stem: A vertical, full-length stroke in upright characters. Tail- A descending stroke, often decorative.

Terminal: The end of a stroke that does not include a serif.

Tittle: A small marking, also known as a dot.

X-Height: The height lowercase letters reach.

Check out more of Mike on his website: www.eckerdesignco.com

IG: @mike_ecker